Our free range cockerels were such a big hit last Christmas that we have decided to rear a limited number especially for the Easter table. Each one weighs at least 3kg and will feed over 6 people. Treat it like the big chicken it is & you cannot go wrong!
Here's how we cooked ours on Christmas Eve last year
- Remove your cockerel from the fridge at least an hour before cooking to bring it to room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 210°C Fan / 230°C / Gas 8
- Season the bird all over with salt & pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then lower the over temperature to 160°C Fan / 180°C / Gas 4 and continue to roast for 40 minutes per kilo until the meat reaches an internal temperature of at least 68°C. We use a MEATER wireless thermometer for failsafe results every time!
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest in a warm place for at least 30 minutes.